In honour of The Quilliad‘s issue 6 submission call, here are 6 reasons to back The Quilliad Press through our recently launched Kickstarter:
1. To support emerging writers and artists. As our previous issues have proven to us, Canada’s emerging creative talent is worthy of attention. Read the work from our first issue, which featured only university undergrads and recent graduates, to see what we mean.
2. Our contributors go on to do more awesome things, so you’re investing in people who are serious about their craft. Take just a few examples from our list of fifth issue contributors, for instance. Jessica Bebenek and JC Bouchard were part of the recent Worst Case Ontario Poetry Tour. I have the tour chapbook, and the writing in it is fantastic (as were the performances at the Toronto reading). Not to mention the guts and inspiration it takes to successfully crowdfund a poetry tour and then go on a road trip with relative strangers in order to do poetry readings in 9 different cities in as many days!
Suzanna Derewicz—poet, playwright, and performer—is performing in and co-facilitating the Write On Playwright’s Showcase II on Tuesday, September 29 at On Cue in Toronto’s west end. She will be performing “Getting There”, a play exploring the experiences of a dying woman hose consciousness remains intact. The piece is inspired by Ariel, Sylvia Plath’s final book of poetry, and the play is also being adapted into an illustrated poetry chapbook by Suzanna.
3. To see what’s happening in the Canadian arts and literary scenes. We’ve published established authors and artists, up and comers, and everyone in between. Here are a few recent examples:
You can find Issue 3 contributor Kayla Czaga’s work everywhere right now. A recent UBC MFA graduate, her work has appeared in The Walrus, Best Canadian Poetry 2013, Room Magazine, Lemon Hound, Event, The Malahat Review, and The Antigonish Review, among others, and she’s already published her first book, For Your Safety Please Hold On, with Nightwood Editions.
Issue 4 contributor Dan Holst Soelberg is a quirky artist with a dark but humorous aesthetic who’s become a regular everywhere from small press fairs to Fan Expo every August in Toronto. You can find his books online or in stores at The Beguiling and The Labyrinth in Toronto and Big B Comics in Hamilton.
Issue 5 contributor Lisa Young is the author of the poetry collection When the Earth, published by Quattro Books, and the chapbook This Cabin, published by Lyrical Myrical Press. She has been published in Jones Av., Misunderstandings Magazine, Quills Canadian Poetry Magazine, Rampike Magazine, and more. As the former fiction editor and senior poetry editor for Existere: Journal of Arts and Literature and someone who is active at both reading series and in writing groups, Lisa is a staple of the Toronto poetry scene.
Our issue 5 cover artist, Eden Bachelder, creates stunning paintings, illustrations, and masks of animals and monsters. You can find her work at Toronto-area art events and on her website, www.edenbachelder.com.
4. Our rewards. We’re offering copies of The Quilliad (of course), chapbooks, art prints, and poetry on demand on subjects chosen by our backers. For backers who pledge $200 or more, the poetry we write for them will be published in issue 6, and we’ll be composing entire chapbooks for backers at the $200 and $500 levels.
5. To promote small press publishing and Canadian arts. Smaller presses are often more likely to take risks with unusual work or work that isn’t what’s hot right now (but that is still awesome), as well as to give opportunities to new writers and artists (see #1) and to LGBT, POC, and other diverse voices and perspectives. Furthermore, while we think our publication is equally interesting to all lovers of the arts, we also believe that Canadian creative work deserves more recognition. Publishing local writers and artists is our way of helping to build an audience for Canadian creations.
6. We do more than publish. We also promote arts and literature through our blog by writing reviews of small press books, composing artist profiles, and covering local arts and lit events. We’re open to suggestions about what we should cover as well.
Thanks for reading. If you’d like to support the work we’re doing, here’s the link to our Kickstarter: www.kickstarter.com/projects/1765917797/the-quilliad-press-and-issue-6